There’s something bewitching about scent.
Mysterious and pleasurable, aromas can elicit physical responses; activating chemical responses that release feel-good hormones and neurotransmitters such as oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin; which in turn can evoke passion, desire, giddiness and even love.1,2,3
Some of this is attributed to the biological responses of our chemical receptors responding to certain plant constituents; some is steeped in rich history of herbal folklore and spiritual understandings of plant energy; and then there is the element of familiarity, memory and emotional association.1
Maybe aroma is better left as an ethereal enigma. However, whether you understand the mechanisms or not, the impact of scent on attraction, emotion and intimacy is undeniable.
All pure essential oils have therapeutic qualities that benefit you in body, mind and spirit. These particular essential oils have sensual qualities that are perfect for encouraging love.4 From oils that make you feel more attractive, desirable and confident; to oils that evoke feelings of passion and romance; essential oils can influence our emotions to entice intimacy and romance.5
When choosing an oil or blend to set the mood, the most important factor is that you are enamoured with the aroma yourself. If you love the scent, that feeling of infatuation will release the feel-good hormones associated with love and happiness.
So the general rule of thumb is: to fall in love, fall in love with the scent first.
However, to help you choose, below is a quick guide to essential oils known for their love-enhancing properties.
For flirtatiousness and fun…
Sweet, warm citrus oils evoke playfulness, joy and pleasure. Cheerful sweet orange and mandarin pure essential oils are disarmingly charming – encouraging flirtation, communication, banter and wit. Orange is also linked with the sacral chakra, and encourages sensuality, exploration, creativity and openness.1
For desire and seduction…
Bewitching and entrancing, heady florals such as jasmine, rose and ylang ylang stir passion, desire and help increase attraction. These intoxicating, aphrodisiacal florals have traditionally embodied divine femininity, and over years has conditioned us to feel more beautiful, desirable, sensual and amorous.1
For enticement and sensuality…
Warm, earthy, slightly spicy and subtly sweet; Patchouli has been considered an aphrodisiac for centuries.7 The almost musk-like scent of patchouli is associated with lust, desire, human attraction and natural pheromones, and enhances confidence and charisma. Quieting mental chatter and breaking down tension, the sensual patchouli is a favourite for lovers.1
For relaxation and openness…
It is said that the brilliant Queen Cleopatra favoured lavender as her perfume of choice to seduce her lovers Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.6 This herb of love throughout history has been believed to be an aphrodisiac, and is also a symbol of devotion in bouquets. Tender, soft and loving, lavender oil nurtures feelings of calmness, relaxation and safety; creating a gentle and intimate atmosphere to release inhibitions and open your heart to love.1
For earthly beauty and sensuousness …
Exquisite, radiant and embodying divine grace and beauty, the Goddess Lakshmi gives blessings of wealth, luck, and marital bliss – and is said to reside in the sandalwood tree.8,9 The sacred sandalwood pure essential oil, with its soft, balsamic, woody and sweet accents, is prized across many civilisations. While renowned for its spiritual and meditative qualities, sandalwood is also a deeply sensual oil that can help awaken kundalini energy, teach us to delight in earthly pleasures, and grounds us in sensuous unaffected beauty.1
Perfect Love Potions
Our love potions are divinely concocted using the powerful aromatic aphrodisiacs listed above to promote love, adoration, sensuality, intimacy, passion and romance. Expertly synergised by professional aromatherapists to harmonise and enhance the metaphysical properties of each pure essential oil, we have curated blends designed to embody every nuance of love and romance.
Potion for love and desire.
Named after the Greek God of Love, this blend pierces your heart with love, passion and desire. Embrace your sensuality and evoke a sense of euphoria with the seductive aromas of patchouli, bergamot, lavender and ylang ylang pure essential oils.
Sweet • Rosy • Romantic
Hug time was originally created by Salvatore Battaglia as a very special wedding present for one of our managers in Japan. This sweet, rosy, musky, delicate floral blend of sweet orange, palmarosa, geranium, patchouli, ginger, ylang ylang and rose absolute envelops you in tender love and gentleness.
Potion for sensuality and pleasure.
Created to open the Sacral Chakra, associated with sweetness and pleasure, Allure is deeply sensual, flirtatious and inspires confidence and charisma. This sweetly enticing, warm and intoxicating blend of jasmine absolute, mandarin, sandalwood, cardamom, ylang ylang and patchouli pure essential oils helps you embrace self-worth and sensuality and desire.
Potion for unconditional love.
Created to open your heart chakra and invite unconditional love, our Compassion Chakra Blend is full of pure essential oils that embody a gentle yet radiantly loving energy. A captivating synergy of precious florals; including lavender, ylang ylang, bergamot, may chang, rose absolute, and neroli pure essential oils; inspires gentleness, compassion, tender love and adoration.
1. Salvatore Battaglia. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy Vol 1 – Foundations and Materia Medica. Third Edition. Blackpepper Creative. 2018.
2. Zawn Villines medically reviewed by Debra Sullivan, Ph.D., MSN, R.N., CNE, COI. Essential oils and menopause: Can they help? Medical News Today. 2020. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317918
3. Jinyong Xu et al. Vanillin-induced amelioration of depression-like behaviors in rats by modulating monoamine neurotransmitters in the brain. Psychiatry Research, Volume 225, Issue 3. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2014.11.056.
4. Erica Cirino medically reviewed by Dominique Fontaine, BSN, RN, HNB-BC, HWNC-BC. Which Essential Oils Can Help You Set the Mood for Intimacy? Healthline. 2021. https://www.healthline.com/health/aphrodisiac-essential-oils
5. Kaitlin Clark. The Best Science-Backed Aphrodisiac Scents to Get You in the Mood. InStyle Magazine. 2020. https://www.instyle.com/lifestyle/aphrodisiac-scents
6. Nicollete Perry, PhD medically reviewed by Carissa Stephens, R.N., CCRN, CPN. A Love Letter to Lavender. Healthline. 2018. https://www.healthline.com/health/lavender-history-plant-care-types
7. Swamy MK, Sinniah UR. A Comprehensive Review on the Phytochemical Constituents and Pharmacological Activities of Pogostemon cablin Benth.: An Aromatic Medicinal Plant of Industrial Importance. Molecules. 2015 May 12;20(5):8521-47. doi: 10.3390/molecules20058521. PMID: 25985355; PMCID: PMC6272783.
8. Thammineni Pullaiah. Sandalwood: Silviculture, Conservation and Applications. Springer Nature. 2021. ISBN: 981160780X, 9789811607806. P13.
9. New World Encyclopedia contributors. Lakshmi. New World Encyclopedia. 2008. https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/lakshmi