“Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.”
— Thomas Dekker
A good night's sleep is just as important as regular exercise and a healthy diet.
Research shows that poor sleep has immediate negative effects on your hormones, exercise performance and brain function1.
Lack of sleep can change, sometimes it can be a 'short term' issue - being a parent of a new-born child, for example. This is due to your inability to sleep the amount you would like to due to other demands. The other is a longer term or chronic condition - the inability to sleep seemingly no matter what you do.
Keys to a successful sleep ritual
Setting up an effective sleep ritual can really assist in promoting a great sleep. Ensure you:
- Keep it simple! Make your sleep ritual something realistic and achievable in your daily life. For example, don't include a soak in a bath if your bath tub is in the kids bathroom. This could potentially become an obstacle for you if it's inaccessible at certain times of the evening.
- Make it accessible. Keep what you need for your ritual readily available. Place your diffuser and essential oils together somewhere you can access it easily each night.
- Be consistent. Aim to have the same ritual each night and preferably around the same time.
Perfect Potion Sleep Ritual
- Turn on your essential oil diffuser or oil burner with your choice of pure essential oil blend, such as Sweet Dreams, Snooze, Beautiful Baby Hush or Relax.
- Apply Sweet Dreams Aromatherapy Balm to your temples, neck, shoulders, and the bottoms of your feet (then pop some socks on!).
- Take out your journal and write 3 things you are grateful for today.
- Lightly mist your pillows and bedding with Sweet Dreams Pillow Mist.
- Turn off your light, close your eyes and breathe deeply.
Induce feelings of stillness and calm with this relaxing blend as it quietens the mind and allows the brain to switch off and drift off into a restful, deep sleep. Enjoy the ease of falling asleep with the calming aromas of lavender, chamomile, clary sage, sweet orange and petitgrain pure essential oils, and wake feeling rested and revitalised.
1. Cauter, V. Impact of sleep and sleep loss on neuroendocrine and metabolic function. NCBI. 2015.