After several years in the making, we are so excited to release a safe and effective APVMA approved, COSMOS Natural, DEET-free insect repellent!
The pure, fresh blend of pure essential oils of citronella, tea tree, niaouli, eucalyptus and peppermint in Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent has been rigorously tested and proven effective by leading researchers at the University of Technology, Sydney in the lab and field trials in far north Queensland. These tests were conducted according to World Health Organisation Standards and successfully repelled 98.5% of mosquitoes on application.
Perfect Potion Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent is registered and approved by the APVMA as an effective insect repellent. In Australia, the sale of insect repellents is controlled by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). An insect repellent intended for human use must be reviewed and approved by the APVMA. The APVMA is an Australian government statutory authority established in 1993 to centralise the registration of all agricultural and veterinary chemical products into the Australian marketplace.
Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent is also certified natural with COSMOS Natural. COSMOS is an internationally recognised standard for organic and natural cosmetics which was developed to address the needs of consumers, the industry and the environment. Founded in 2010, COSMOS is paving the way for manufacturers and consumers alike to purchase and promote certified natural and organic products around the world.
With these 2 widely recognised and respected approvals, you can now confidently enjoy the protection from mosquitoes provided by some of the most potent insect repellents found in nature without the use of synthetic ingredients like DEET!
Did you know that DEET is currently the most common active ingredient used in the majority of insect repellents on the market? This synthetic ingredient, which was originally formulated to use as a pesticide on farm fields, is often used in as high percentages as 100% in commercial insect repellents. As it is an effective solvent, DEET is well known to “damage spandex, rayon, acetate and leather” and to dissolve “plastics, vinyl and labels”1. DEET is very greasy, has a very distinctive smell and while it has been deemed safe by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in low quantities, some countries have banned the sale of DEET containing more than 30%! We believe these are all great reasons to avoid the ingredient at all cost!
After extensive research and testing, and knowing we needed to fill the need to replace DEET with an all-natural effective repellent, we have developed a formulation using essential oils which have been proven by leading scientists to be as effective as DEET2 and have been valued for thousands of years for their repellent properties.
- Eucalyptus, Blue Mallee proven to repel 72.2% of mosquitos for 2 hour3
- Peppermint proven to repel 100% of Ae. aegypti for 45 minutes3
- Citronella proven to repel 40% of An. stephensi for 7-8 hours3
- Tea tree traditionally used for thousands of years as a highly effective insect repellent.
- Niaouli proven to repel 100% of Ae. aegypti (Linnaeus), An. stephensi (Liston), Cu. quinquefasciatus for 8 hours4
In nature, plants use their essential oils as a natural defence mechanism to deter insects from eating them. It is believed that these oils, which evaporate easily, serve to ward off insects from a distance and protect the plant.
Maia and Moore state in the Malaria Journal; “Citronella, which contains citronellal, citronellol, geraniol, citral, a-pinene, and limonene, is as effective dose for dose as DEET5.”
The authors go on to add that due to its highly evaporative properties, citronella should be combined with a fixative to improve the protection time by “reducing the release rate of the volatile oil6”. To do this, we have combined our formulation with natural jojoba esters to fix the essential oils to the skin, improving its longevity.
If you use our Pure Plant Hydrating Serum, you will already be familiar with the jojoba esters that make the serum so hydrating and long-lasting.
We know you’ll enjoy this 100% natural fresh, pure blend we have included in this proven effective repellent. It is safe to use on children and inside your home – so allow yourself to enjoy this mozzie infested summer with confidence with Perfect Potion Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent!
1. Greive, Kerryn, John Station, Peter Miller, Bryce Peters, and VM Jane Oppenheim. “Development of Melaleuca Oils as Effective Natural-based Personal Insect Repellents.” Australian Journal of Entomology 49 (2010): 40-48. Print.
2. Greive, Kerryn, John Station, Peter Miller, Bryce Peters, and VM Jane Oppenheim. “Development of Melaleuca Oils as Effective Natural-based Personal Insect Repellents.” Australian Journal of Entomology 49 (2010): pg. 41. Print.
3. Maia, M., & Moore, S. (2011). Plant-based insect repellents: A review of their efficacy, development and testing. Malaria Journal, 10(S11). Pp 4-8, from http://www.malariajournal.com/supplements/10/s11
4. Amer, A., & Melhorn, H. (2006). Repellency effect of forty-one essential oils against Aedes, Anopheles, and Culex Mosquitoes. Parasitol Res. 2006 Sep; 99 (4):478-90. Epub 2006 Apr 27. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16642384
5. Maia, M., & Moore, S. (2011). Plant-based insect repellents: A review of their efficacy, development and testing. Malaria Journal, 10(S11). Pg. 3, from http://www.malariajournal.com/supplements/10/s11
6. Maia, M., & Moore, S. (2011). Plant-based insect repellents: A review of their efficacy, development and testing. Malaria Journal, 10(S11). Pg. 3, from http://www.malariajournal.com/supplements/10/s11