The third millennium will be spiritual or there will be no third millennium.
Malraux’s quote is the premise for this advanced aromatherapy course. In this course we examine the role of scent within spiritual practices, and how this has influenced the way we use essential oils today. We explore the role of spirituality within healing and how aromatherapy can be used to nurture our spirituality.
We will learn about the subtle and energetic qualities of essential oils and explore why essential oils have a profound influence on our psyche. We will examine why aromatherapy can play an important role in the management of mental health disorders. Aromatherapy provides us with a viable psychopharmacological alternative, and at the same time, nurtures many of the psychospiritual elements essential to mental health wellbeing.
I believe that an understanding of shamanic practices can prepare and guide us on our journey as a healer. Knowledge of shamanic practices will help us understand why essential oils are a catalyst for healing, renewal, strength and enthusiasm for life. Essential oils are the very molecules by which plants have always communicated with us, and they elicit the long-lost connections we have had with nature.
This course provides you with the skills and knowledge to reawaken the shaman within us and guide you on your journey as a healer.
Release date: Saturday 26th June 2021
Duration: 2 hours
Integrating concepts of spirituality into health care practices can be challenging. In this masterclass we address many of these challenges and establish a roadmap for integrating aromatic spiritual elements into your aromatherapy practice.
We explore the premise that aromatherapy is a shamanic practice. In order to do this, we examine the origins of shamanism, examine the role of shamanism as a healing practice, and identify ways in which shamanism can be integrated into contemporary healing practices. We investigate the role of entheogens and psychointegrators used within shamanic practices, and consider whether essential oils can be classified as entheogens.
While it is unlikely that any of the commonly used essential oils lead to an altered state of consciousness, such as that often experienced with many of the powerful psychoactive substances available, neuroscience has identified that many of the biological pathways by which essential oils influence our psyche and modify our brain chemistry are similar to those of altered states of consciousness achieved in shamanic practices.
In this masterclass, we will:
- explore the relationship between spirituality and wellbeing
- examine the importance of spirituality within a holistic healing framework
- examine the relationship between aromatherapy, new age practices and spirituality
- explore the role of the shaman in traditional and modern cultures
- examine why the principles of shamanic practices need to be included in contemporary healing practices
- address important issues associated with indigenous rights and cultural appropriation of shamanic practices
- examine the neuroscience and therapeutic benefits of altered states of consciousness
- examine the role of essential oils as entheogens and psychointegrators
Release date: Saturday 10th July 2021
Duration: 4 hours
In Sacred Scents, we explore the role of scent within cultural and spiritual practices, and examine how this relates to the way we use essential oils today. Researchers have always struggled to understand the complex role of scent within a cultural, psychological and spiritual context.
In this four-hour masterclass we will:
- Examine why essential oils have always been used with spiritual practice
- Explore the six key factors that contribute to the spiritual dimension of scent, biophilia, awe, sacred space, ritual, myth and neurobiology.
- investigate the science and research underpinning these factors and learn how understanding these factors not only helps us gain more spiritual clarity, but provides us with a better understanding of the therapeutic role of essential oils.
- explore the latest research into shinrin-yoku: the Japanese practice of forest bathing and biophilia. This research helps us understand why exposure to nature can have so many beneficial psychological and physiological benefits. What is most exciting about the research into shinrin-yoku is that the volatile oils emitted by trees are responsible for much of the therapeutic efficacy of forest bathing. What is even more exciting is that inhalation of only trace amounts of the volatile essential oil molecules in the air can have so many pronounced physiological and psychological effects, such as boosting immunity, reducing stress producing hormones and improving sleep.
- examine how neurotheology can help us understand the benefits of essential oils within a spiritual context. Neurotheology integrates anthropology, cognitive neuroscience, neurology, psychology, and sociology; with beliefs, myths, religion, rituals, spiritual practices, spirituality and theology.
- review a range of sacred essential oils that have played an important role in the spiritual practices of humankind and are important in the practice of subtle aromatherapy. These oils include benzoin, atlas cedarwood, cypress, frankincense, lotus, myrrh, patchouli, rock rose, rose otto, oud, spikenard, sandalwood, vetiver and yakusugi. We will conclude the session by exploring a range of techniques for working with the essential oils and created sacred blends.
- learn how to make your own sacred blend.
Release date: Saturday 7th August 2021
Duration: 3 hours
In Aromatherapy and biofields, we explore the key concepts of biofield therapies, review many of the challenges that biofield therapies face and discuss ways in which they can be integrated into mainstream healing practices. We will explore a range of biofield therapies and discuss how they can be incorporated with aromatherapy.
In this three-hour masterclass we will:
- examine the origins of biofield and subtle therapies
- identify the common features of biofield and subtle therapies
- explore a range of models used to describe the subtle body such as TCM and the chakras.
- Explore a range of biofield therapies such as reiki, homoeopathy, flower essences, colour therapy and crystals and how they can be used in conjunction with aromatherapy.
- examine the relationship between the world health organisation (WHO) happiness report and the chakras.
- examine the scientific evidence for the existence of biofields/subtle energy.
- investigate how essential oils influence our biofield/subtle energy.
- examine how we can improve our health and wellbeing through an awareness of our subtle body and use of essential oils
- explore a range of essential oils and the effect that they have on our subtle energy.
Release date: Saturday 21st August 2021
Duration: 3 hours
Understanding the theory of the Five Elements, commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), can provide us with a holistic framework in which we can effectively practice aromatherapy. We will explore how the constitutional characteristics defined within the Five Elements influences our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellbeing.
In this three-hour masterclass you will learn:
- the fundamental concepts of TCM
- the correspondences associated with the Five Elements
- the types of conditions associated with each of the Five Elements
- how the psychospiritual dimensions of the Five Elements effects our wellbeing
- the archetype and the typical constitution of the Five Elements
- how essential oils can be used to balance disharmonies of the Five Elements.
Release date: Saturday 11th September 2021
Duration: 2 hours
Many people have made meditation and mindfulness part of their daily ritual. A growing body of scientific research indicates that mindfulness can reduce stress, and improve our mental and physical health. In this masterclass we explore why we should practice mindfulness, and how aromatherapy can be used to enhance your mindfulness practice.
We explore the various types of mindfulness practices and identify those practices that may be better suited to use with aromatherapy. We will discover how mindfulness practices can help enhance our intuitive skills to discover the subtle therapeutic qualities of essential oils, thereby providing our client with a better therapeutic outcome.
In this one-day masterclass you will:
- explore a range of mindfulness techniques
- discover the therapeutic benefits of mindfulness practices
- examine the neurobiology of mindfulness practices
- learn how aromatherapy and mindfulness can help reduce stress and anxiety
- learn how essential oils can enhance your meditation practice
- examine the most effective essential oils for mindfulness practice
- have the opportunity to perform a short mindfulness session.
Release date: Saturday 2nd October 2021
Duration: 4 hours
Management of mental health and associated illnesses is now one of the biggest challenges and priorities for governments and health professionals around the world. So many risk factors can contribute to mental health disruption. Any holistic approach to mental health and mental illness must consider the many social and biological factors that can influence mental health.
In Aromatherapy and Mental Health masterclass, we examine the current concerns of many mental health professionals who believe mental health services have for too long been controlled by a reductionist biomedical framework, rather addressing the psychological, social and cultural issues.
Aromatherapy can provide a very effective and safe modality to reduce the risks of mental health disorders. While much of the research into essential oils for the treatment of mental health conditions focuses on confirming the pharmacological efficacy of the essential oils, I believe that it is too narrowly focused on a biomedical interventionist approach. While we will examine the current research, I will also present a more holistic aromatherapy model that addresses many of the concerns being raised by those working in mental health care.
In this four-hour masterclass we will:
- identify the factors that contribute to mental health disorders
- identify early symptoms to look out for as possible signs of a mental health disorder
- discuss a range of treatments including aromatherapy
- examine the psychopharmacology and clinical evidence to support the use of aromatherapy for the management of mental health disorders
- examine a range of essential oil blends for a range of mental health disorders.