Much of the information presented in this booklet has come to me through my own experience as an aromatherapist, as a user of essential oils in everyday life, and through the works of many wonderful colleagues who specialise in vibrational therapies and have shared their experiences through the books they have written.
I believe when aromatherapy is used with the chakras, they become one of the most dynamic tools for personal and spiritual growth.
In understanding chakras, it is important to be familiar with the basic concepts of vibrational energy or subtle energies.
We are all made up of vibrations. The human body is made up of millions of molecules which vibrate - giving frequencies that form a unique vibration when we are healthy.
The vibrations of the body can easily go out of tune when we experience physical or emotional stress. Vibrational therapies can be used to restore the body’s own healthy harmonic resonance.
There are many vibrational therapies and many theories which explain subtle energy. Much of our knowledge of subtle energy comes from the eastern traditional healing arts such as Ayurveda, Yoga, Chakras and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC).
Some of the other therapies sharing this subtle approach include flower remedies, gem elixirs, homoeopathy, acupuncture, crystal therapy, colour therapy, chakra balancing, therapeutic touch, spiritual healing and of course, subtle aromatherapy.
This guide provides us with a framework for understanding this subtle energy by balancing chakras by using essential oils.
Vibrational healing suggests that disturbed or blocked vibrations arise in the subtle body before disease manifests on a physical plane.
Therefore it is better to gently restore these vibrations before a physical disease occurs. Often, even when physical disease has developed, it may be possible to be reversed by changing the subtle energy.
When there is a disturbance or blockage of vibrational energy, the vibrational energies emanating from colour, crystals, essential oils or sound can be used to release the blockage, allowing the subtle energy to once again flow freely.
Subtle aromatherapy makes use of essential oils to affect our psyche, our subtle energies and our spiritual wellbeing. In doing so we are drawing on the subtle, energetic or vibrational qualities of the essential oils, rather than their physical or chemical properties.
Essential oils have the ability to influence our wellbeing at a physical, emotional, mental and subtle level.
Essential oils are versatile and it is possible to use them in so many ways. The more conventional ways of using essential oils include massage, vaporisers, diffusers and burners or baths.
When using essential oils or Perfect Potion’s chakra blends for their subtle effects, there is no “right” or “wrong” ways of using them. You do not need to be tied to any conventional method of application. What matters most is your intent. Patricia Davis, author of Subtle Aromatherapy,says that it is important to begin with a clear idea of what you aim to achieve and how you want the oil to help you.
What are chakras?
Throughout our body we have main energy centres, which are connected to major organs and glands that govern other body parts.
Each of these main energy centres is referred to as chakra. Chakra is a Sanskrit word which means wheel. A chakra can be visualised as a wheel-like spinning vortex that whirls in a circular motion. They are considered the centre of our subtle energy (or life force or prana, also known as Qi in Chinese medicine).
The function of the chakras is to spin and draw in this universal life force energy to keep the spiritual, mental, emotional and physical health of the body in balance.
Chakras appear to be involved in the flow of higher energies via specific subtle energetic channels to the cellular structure of the physical body. The flow of this energy through our chakra system is influenced by our personality and our emotions, as well as our state of spiritual development.
Chakras are transfer points for our thoughts and feelings and the physical functioning of specific endocrine glands.
Anatomically each chakra is associated with a major nerve plexus and a minor endocrine gland. The seven major chakras are located in a vertical line ascending from the base of the spine to the head.
Carolyn Myss, author of Anatomy of the Spirit says that each of these energy centres contains a universal spiritual life lesson that we must learn as we evolve into higher consciousness.
- The base or first chakra – Muladhara: lessons related to the material world.
- The sacral or second chakra – Svadisthana: lessons related to sexuality, work and physical desire.
- The solar plexus or third chakra – Manipura: lessons related to ego, personality and self esteem.
- The heart or fourth chakra – Anahata: lessons related to love, forgiveness and compassion.
- The throat or fifth chakra – Vishuddha: lessons related to will and self-expression.
- The third eye or sixth chakra – Ajna: lesson related to mind, intuition, insight and wisdom.
- The crown or seventh chakra – Sahasrara: lesson related to spirituality.
The chakras can be seen as an archetypal depiction of individual maturation through seven distinct stages.
At each stage we gain a more understanding of our personal and spiritual power, since each chakra represents a spiritual life lesson or challenge common to all human beings.
As a person masters each chakra, they gain power and self-knowledge that becomes integrated into their spirit: advancing them along the path of spiritual consciousness.
How to become more aware of the state of your chakras
First and foremost, focus your attention on learning to interpret your life’s challenges symbolically - find meaning in them.
Think and feel how they connect to your health. Bring attention everyday to the challenges you face and to how your mind and spirit respond to them. Observe what causes you to lose power, and where you feel the loss. Evaluate the spiritual and biological activity that occurs as a consequence.
Secondly, think of yourself at all times as an energy being as well as a physical one. The energy part of your self is the transmitter and recorder of all your thoughts and interactions.
Develop the habit of evaluating the people, experiences and information you allow into your life. Consciously and regularly evaluate your interactions and their influence on your emotional and physical power.
Reflect on the questions in the section Questions for self examination.
These questions will assist you in understanding the condition of each chakra.
Each chakra is associated with particular functions within the body and with specific life issues and the way we handle them, both inside ourselves and in our interactions with the world.
Chakras can be thought of as sites where we receive, absorb, and distribute life energies. Through external situations and internal habits, such as long-held physical tension and limiting self-concepts, a chakra can become either deficient or excessive and therefore imbalanced.
These imbalances may develop temporarily with situational challenges, or they may be chronic. A chronic imbalance can come from childhood experiences, past pain or stress, and internalized cultural values.
A deficient chakra neither receives appropriate energy nor easily manifests that chakra’s energy in the world. There is a sense of being physically and emotionally closed down in the area of a deficient chakra. Think of the slumped shoulders of someone who is depressed and lonely, their heart chakra receding into their chest. The deficient chakra needs to open.
When a chakra is excessive, it is too overloaded to operate in a healthy way and becomes a dominating force in a person’s life. Someone with an excessive throat chakra, for example, might talk too much and be unable to listen well. If the chakra were deficient, he or she might experience restraint and difficulty when communicating.
The underlying theory of each chakra will now be explained.
The base chakra
The Sanskrit name for the base chakra is Muladhara, meaining 'root' or 'support'. The base chakra is concerned with physical needs and basic human survival.
The base chakra reflects the degree to which we feel connected to the earth or are grounded in our activities.
The amount of energy flow through the base chakra is a reflection of one's ability to link with the earth and to function effectively upon the earth plane from day to day.
On a practical level, this refers to the ability to keep one's feet firmly upon the ground. The base chakra provides us with the ability to provide for life's necessities, the ability to stand up for oneself, and a sense of security.
Mastering the base chakra helps you grasp the importance of a fit, healthy body as you travel upward through the higher and higher levels of consciousness.
Questions for self examination
• What belief pattersn did you inherit from your family?
• Do all of them still have authority over you?
• What superstitions do you have?Which have more authority over you than your own reasoning ability?
• Do you have a personal code of honour? What is it?
• Have you ever compromised your sense of honour? If so, have you taken steps to heal it?
• Do you have any unfinished business with your family members? If yes, what prevents you from healing your family relationships?
• List all the blessings that you feel come from your family.
• If you are a parent, what qualities would you like your children to learn from you?
• What tribal traditions and rituals do you continue?
• What tribal characteristics within yourself would you like to strengthen and develop?
Positive actions to strengthen your base chakra
• Physical activities such as an exercise program or yoga.
• Do work that you love
• Develop a conscious relationship with money.
• Use essential oils that are grounding, strengthening and centering. This includes essential oils such as Atlas cedarwood, benzoin, myrrh, patchouli, and vetiver, or use Perfect Potion’s Balance chakra blend. Balance chakra blend is a synergy of black pepper, vetiver, sweet orange, patchouli, lavender and Atlas cedarwood pure essential oils.
• Stimulating music with deep beats such as drums, or music that makes your body move like Latin American music.
• Wear or carry an red gemstones. Red stones include garnet, red jasper and ruby.
• Surround yourself with red - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the base chakra
• My body is becoming more important to me, and I nurture it constantly.
• I am responsible for my life. I can cope with any situation.
• I deserve the best that life has to offer. My needs are always met.
The sacral chakra
The Sanskrit name for the sacral chakra is Svadhisthana, meaning ‘sweetness’ and its associations are indeed what makes life sweet – pleasure, sexuality, nurture, movement and change.
It represents our creative energy and is associated with the functions of our reproductive organs. The sacral chakra is described as the subtle-energy seat of sexuality. It is associated with the gonads and reproductive organs, in addition to the urinary bladder, large and small intestines, the appendix and the lumbar vertebrae.
From a psycho-energetic standpoint, the sacral chakra is associated with the expression of sensual emotion and sexuality.
The sacral chakra leads us from basic existence to help us embrace what makes life worth living.
Questions for self examination
• How do you define creativity? Do you consider yourself a creative person? Do you follow through on your creative ideas?
• Do you often direct your creative energies into negative paths of expression? Do you exaggerate or embellish “facts” to support your point of view?
• Are you comfortable with your sexuality? If not, are you working toward healing your sexual imbalances? Do you use people for sexual pleasure, or have you felt used? Do you honor your own sexual boundaries?
• Do you have an impression of the Divine as a force that exerts justice in your life?
• Are you a controlling person? Do you engage in power plays? Are you able to see yourself clearly in circumstances related to power and money?
• Does money have authority over you? Do you make compromises that violate your inner self for the sake of financial security?
• How often do survival fears dictate your choices?
• Can you master your fears about finances and physical survival, or do they control you and your attitudes?
• What goals do you have for yourself that you have yet to pursue? What stands in the way of acting upon those goals?
Positive actions to strengthen your sacral chakra
• Have hot aromatic baths.
• Have a deep tissue massage.
• Experience balanced sexuality.
• Use essential oils that are deeply sensual and warming in nature. This includes essential oils such as sandalwood, sweet orange, cardamom, ylang ylang, patchouli, jasmine absolute and rose absolute or use Perfect Potion’s Allure chakra blend. Allure chakra blend is a synergy of jasmine absolute, mandarin, sandalwood, cardamom, ylang ylang and patchouli pure essential oils.
• Listen to music with a bounce or that flows.
• Wear or carry an orange gemstone such as carnelian or orange topaz or a copper piece.
• Surround yourself with orange - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the sacral chakra
• I am moving towards a time when I am totally happy and fulfilled. Life offers me everything I need for that journey.
• I am worthy of love and sexual pleasure.
• I am prepared to honour my body and feel good about my sexuality.
The solar plexus chakra
The Sanskrit name for the solar plexus chakra is Manipura, which means ‘lustrous gem’.
The solar plexus chakra is about the power of being an individual, to be unique, while celebrating our continuing connection with all humanity.
From an emotional perspective, the solar plexus chakra is linked to the issue of personal power. Personal power can be described as a feeling of control over one’s life.
Personal power also relates to how people view themselves in relation to others in their lives. Individuals with a so called ‘victim consciousness’, who has no sense of control over their lives will often manifest an imbalance in the solar plexus chakra. Domination, anger and abuse of others can also be associated with abnormal function of the solar plexus chakra.
The solar plexus chakra relates to trust, fear and intimidation, self esteem, self confidence and self respect, care of oneself and others, responsibility for making decisions, sensitivity to criticism and personal honour.
By strengthening and stimulating the solar plexus chakra you will attain a state in which you can shake off the fears of rejection, criticism, and standing apart from the group and create your own, unique identity.
Questions for self examination
• Do you like yourself? What don’t you like and why? Are you actively working to change the things about yourself you don’t like?/p>
• Are you critical of others? Do you blame others as a way of protecting yourself?
• Are you able to admit when you are wrong? Are you open to feedback from other people about yourself?
• Do you need the approval of others? If so, why?
• Do you consider yourself strong or weak? Are you afraid of taking care of yourself?
• Have you been in a relationship with a person you didn’t really love, but it seemed better than being alone?
• Do you respect yourself? Can you decide to make changes in your life and then stick to your commitment?
• Are you afraid of responsibility? Or, do you feel responsible for everything and everyone?
• Are you continually wishing your life were different? If so, are you doing anything to change it, or have you resigned yourself to the situation?
Positive actions to strengthen your solar plexus chakra
• Taking classes, reading informative books, doing mind puzzles.
• Use essential oils that help to build confidence and protect us against negative influences. This includes aniseed, atlas cedarwood, Roman chamomile, frankincense, ginger, grapefruit, juniper berry, lemon, rosemary, peppermint, pine, rosemary and vetiver or use Perfect Potion’s Harmony chakra blend. Harmony chakra blend is a synergy of vetiver, juniper berry, lemon, frankincense, Roman chamomile and aniseed pure essential oils.
• Listen to music that is mentally stimulating such as chimes or horn instruments.
• Wear or carry a yellow gemstone such as citrine, tiger’s eye, amber or yellow topaz or something gold.
• Surround yourself with yellow - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the solar plexus chakra
• I accept and value myself exactly as I am.
• My personal power is becoming stronger each day.
• I am my own person. I choose how to think and behave.
The heart chakra
The Sanskrit, Anahata means ‘sound made by two things striking’ or ‘unstuck’, describing the co-existence of body and spirit.
The heart chakra is concerned with forgiveness and compassion – unconditional love through which we accept another for doing their best. We thus begin to develop true self acceptance.
The heart chakra is integral to an individual’s ability to express love. The type of love that may manifest as brotherly love towards neighbours and friends, as emotional love in a love relationship between lovers and also as spiritual love. The highest form of spiritual love is unconditional love towards others.
Mastering the heart chakra helps us to enhance our emotional development and recognise the potency of that powerful energy we call ‘love’.
Questions for self examination
• What emotional memories do you still need to heal?
• What relationships in your life require healing?
• Do you ever use your emotional wounds to control people or situations? If so, describe them.
• Have you allowed yourself to be controlled by the wounds of another? Will you let that happen again? What steps are you prepared to take to prevent yourself from being controlled that way again?
• What fears do you have about becoming emotionally healthy?
• Do you associate emotional health with no longer needing an intimate relationship?
• What is your understanding of forgiveness?
• Who are the people you need to forgive, and what prevents you from letting go of the pain you associate with them?
• What have you done that needs forgiving? Who is working to forgive you?
• What is your understanding of a healthy, intimate relationship? Are you willing to release the use of your wounds in order to open yourself to such a relationship?
Positive actions to strengthen your heart chakra
• Spend time with family or friends.
• Give love and compassion unconditionally.
• Be patient with yourself and others.
• Surrounding yourself with plants.
• Use essential oils that help open the heart chakra and help the love energy to radiate out. This includes bergamot, lavender, melissa, palmarosa, rose otto or absolute, ylang ylang and neroli or use Perfect Potion’s Compassion chakra blend. Compassion chakra blend is a synergy of rose absolute, ylang ylang, lavender, may chang, neroli, and bergamot pure essential oils.
• Listen to music that has the sounds of nature.
• Wear or carry a green gemstone such as green aventurine, emerald, jade and moldavite.
• Surround yourself with green - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the heart chakra
• I send my love to everyone I know; all hearts are open to receive my love.
• I love myself for who I am and the potential within me.
• I am grateful for all the love that is in my life.
The throat chakra
The throat chakra is the first of the higher centres – associated with communication, self expression, and creativity through sound. The Sanskrit name for the throat chakra is Vishuddha, means ‘purification’. Developing the throat chakra means choosing words that bring valuebto communication.
At a physical/emotional level, dysfunctions of the throat chakra may reflect difficulties in communication.
The throat chakra is the centre of higher creativity such as the creation of word and song. Speech and sound are means by which we can communicate with one another and verbally express new ideas.
Mastering the throat chakra helps us grasp the importance of purifying ourselves by honestly recognising how we feel, following one’s dream, using personal power to create and having the confidence to communicate our emotions to others.
Questions for self examination
• What is your definition of being “strong-willed”?
• Who are the people that have control over your willpower, and why?
• Do you seek to control others? If so, who are they, and why do you need to control them?
• Can you express yourself honestly and openly when you need to? If not, why not?
• Are you able to sense when you are receiving guidance to act upon?
• Do you trust guidance that has no “proof” of the outcome attached to it?
• What fears do you have about Divine guidance?
• Do you pray for assistance with your personal plans, or are you able to say, “I will do what heaven directs me to do”?
• What makes you lose control of your own willpower?
• Do you know you need to change but continually postpone taking action? If so, identify those situations and your reasons for not acting?
Positive actions to strengthen your throat chakra
• Speak the truth.
• Enjoy singing in the shower.
• Read poetry.
• Participate in meaningful conversations.
• Use essential oils that promote a sense of calm, strength and enable the truth to be spoken without anger. This includes oils such as German and Roman chamomile, cypress, geranium and peppermint or use Perfect Potion’s Expressive chakra blend. Expressive chakra blend is a synergy of German chamomile, sandalwood, basil, and sweet orange pure essential oils.
• Listen to music that is repetitive, such as echoes or sounds of ocean waves.
• Wear or carry a blue gemstone such as turquoise, lapis lazuli, sapphire and blue agate.
• Surround yourself with blue - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the throat chakra
• I am starting to speak up for myself.
• What I have to say is worthy of being listened to.
• I delight in my self expression and all my creative pursuits.
• I always speak from the heart.
The third eye chakra
The third eye chakra is also known as the ‘brow chakra’.
The third eye chakra, know as Ajna in Sanskrit means ‘to perceive’ or ‘to know’. Our physical eyes are the tools with which we perceive tangibles, while the ‘third eye’, above and between the eyebrows – offers us the ability to see and understand all things. It is the connection with the higher functions of consciousness. The third eye chakra is a psychic tool reminding us that everything we see, smell, touch, or taste started as an inner vision or ‘in-sight’.
The third eye chakra is one of the psychic centres that gradually develops with meditation. An individual who has a highly developed brow chakra has the ability to ‘see within’, an aspect of consciousness also relatedto introspection.
Mastering the third eye chakra will help you to keep your mind focused on related issues, including the awareness of the benefits to be gained from transcending the purely physical world and opening yourself up to intuitive sight and wisdom; the ability to learn from experience and emotional intelligence.
Questions for self examination
• Do you often interpret the actions of others in a negative way? If so, why?
• What negative patterns continually surface in your relationships with others?
• What attitudes do you have that disempower you?
• What beliefs do you continue to accept that you know are not true?
• Are you judgmental? If so, what situations or relationships bring out that tendency?
• Do you make excuses for behaving in negative ways?
• Recall instances in which a more profound level of truth than you were used to hearing was revealed. Was the experience intimidating?
• What beliefs and attitudes in yourself would you like to change? Can you commit to making those changes?
• Are you comfortable thinking about your life in impersonal terms?
• Do you know you need to change but continually postpone taking action? If so, identify those situations and your reasons for not acting?
Positive actions to strengthen your third eye chakra
• It’s okay to daydream.
• Close your eyes and feel the sun entering the third eye centre.
• Meditate – this will help to develop your intuition and psychic abilities.
• Use essential oils that help us to connect with the higher levels of the mind and bring clarity to our understanding of spiritual truths. This includes juniper berry, everlasting, basil, bay laurel, rosemary, thyme and basil or use Perfect Potion’s Insight chakra blend. Insight chakra blend is a synergy of clary sage, fragonia, lavender, rosemary, sage and bergamot pure essential oils.
• Listen to classical music such as Mozart or Bach.
• Wear or carry an indigo gemstone such as amethyst or silver jewelry.
• Surround yourself with indigo - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the third eye chakra
• The answers to all my questions lie within me.
• I trust my inner self to guide and protect me.
• Making mistakes enables me to learn, grow and develop.
The crown chakra
The crown chakra, known in Sanskrit as Sahasrara, meaning ‘thousandfold’. Developing the other chakras was like walking on stepping stones taking us toward this ultimate goal – enlightenment, self-realisation, fulfillment and divine self.
The crown chakra is considered one of the highest vibrational centres in the subtle body and it is associated with deep inner searching: the so-called spiritual quest. This chakra is most active when individuals are involved in religious and spiritual quest for the meaning of life and in the inner search of their origins as conscious evolving beings.
For the crown chakra to be fully awakened a balance of the body, mind and spirit must occur. When we awaken the crown chakra we open to the possibilities of infinity of space and time and have divine wisdom and understanding of humanity, selflessness, spirituality and devotion.
Questions for self examination
• What guidance have you sought during meditation or praying?
• What type of guidance do you fear the most?
• Do you bargain with the Divine? Do you complain to the Divine more than you express gratitude?
• Are you devoted to a particular spiritual path? If not, do you feel a need to find one?
• Do you believe that your God is more authentic than the Divine in other spiritual traditions?
• Are you waiting for the Divine to send you an explanation for your painful experiences? If so, list them.
• What would you do if the Divine answered your questions by saying: “I have no intention of giving you insight at this point in your life”?
• Have you started and stopped a meditation practice? If so, what are the reasons that you failed to maintain it?
• What spiritual truths are you aware of that you do not live by? List them.
• Are you afraid of a closer relationship with the Divine because of changes it might trigger in your life?
Positive actions to strengthen your crown chakra
• See the divine in everybody, everywhere, look inside for answers.
• Focusing on dreams and writing down one’s visions and inventions.
• Enjoy quiet contemplation, meditation and yoga.
• Use essential oils that have the ability to connect us with the divine within and without. This includes oils such as angelica root, Atlas cedarwood, lavender, sandalwood, spikenard, frankincense and myrrh or use Perfect Potion’s Cosmic chakra blend. Cosmic essential oil blend is a synergy of lavender, frankincense, East Indian sandalwood and cold pressed lime pure essential oils.
• Silence is the crown chakra’s inspiration music.
• Wear or carry a violet gemstone such as amethyst.
• Surround yourself with violet - your clothing, decor, art, etc.
Affirmations for the crown chakra
• I cease to limit myself intellectually and creatively and connect my spirit to the source of all knowledge.
• I release all limited thoughts and lift myself up to ever higher levels of awareness.
• I tune into the union with my higher power.
How to balance your chakras
All the chakras are interrelated, once a lower chakra is in balance it creates an opportunity to open the next chakra. It is generally considered to be best to open the chakras from the lower chakras up. So you make sure that first the Root chakra is open and than you proceed to the sacral chakra, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and finally the crown chakra.
The root chakra is the foundation. When the root chakra is open, you are able to feel secure and welcome. Having opened this chakra, you will feel you will have territory.
Only when you feel secure and welcome, are you able to express feelings and sexuality appropriately, the domain of the sacral chakra. This is generally contact with one person at a time. Feelings get you an idea of what you want and when you are aware of that, you can open the solar plexus chakra, to assert your wants, to decide upon them. This assertion is something that is done between people, in groups and in social situations.
Being able to deal with social situations, you can form affectionate relationships, which is the domain of the heart chakra. This tames the aggression of the solar plexus chakra.
When relationships are formed, you are able to express yourself, by the throat chakra. This is also the basis of thinking, which makes insight possible, by opening the third eye chakra.
When all these chakras are open, you are ready for the crown chakra, to develop wisdom, self-awareness and awareness of the whole.
What period of time you spend on each chakra, is something you’ll have to find out for yourself. Be aware of how you feel and what you do and don’t do. Notice if you really do need to open certain chakras and if you can sustain higher ones.
It will not always be necessary to rigidly follow the order of the chakras, as long as you are aware of what is happening with you.
The test – “Are your chakras healthy?” can help you determine which ones you’ll need to open. However, don’t rely on this alone, read about the chakras in other contexts.
It’s mostly a matter of being aware what your state is. To develop this awareness, it’s a good idea to meditate. Meditation helps to balance the chakras and is particularly helpful when you have over active chakras.
Are your chakras healthy?
These questions will give you an idea of which chakras may be out of balance. Answering yes to four or more questions associated with a chakra indicates an imbalance.
- Do you feel disassociated from your body?
- Are you overweight?
- Are you underweight?
- Do you have a weak physical constitution?
- Does life on earth feel like a burden?
- Are you fearful?
- Are you disorganised?
- Are you possessive and/or materialistic?
- Are you worried about financial security?
- Are you accident prone?
- Do you suppress your sexual desires?
- Do you have a negative attitude about sex?
- Does sexuality make you nervous?
- Do you lack the passion or excitement about life?
- Are you emotionally dependent?
- Does your creativity feel blocked?
- Do you feel guilty?
- Are you afraid of making a commitment?
- Are you obsessed with sexual thoughts or feelings?
solar plexus chakra
- Do you have low energy?
- Do you have low self esteem?
- Are you weak willed?
- Are you easily upset or discouraged?
- Do you feel ashamed of who you are?
- Are you unreliable?
- Are you manipulative and controlling?
- Are you unable to relax?
- Do you have temper outbursts?
- Are you stubborn?
- Are you prone to digestive problems?
- Do you always like to be in control?
- Are you afraid of rejection?
- Are you anti social?
- Are you tolerant of others?
- Do you have a fear of intimacy?
- Are you overly sensitive?
- Are you depressed?
- Are you experiencing grief?
- Are you indifferent?
- Do you have a jealous nature?
- Do you have difficulty breathing?
- Do you take care of others but not yourself?
- Do you have a fear of speaking?
- Do you have a weak voice?
- Are you unable to express your true feelings?
- Are you shy or withdrawn?
- Do you speak harshly to others?
- Do you talk too much?
- Do you tell lies?
- Are you unable to listen to others?
- Do you frequently have a sore throat?
- Do you feel you have nothing worth saying?
- Do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth?
third eye chakra
- Are you out of touch with reality?
- Do you have a poor memory?
- Are you forgetful?
- Do you feel confused?
- Do you have impaired vision?
- Do you have difficulty in concentrating?
- Do you have nightmares?
- Do you often misunderstand situations?
- Do you have frequent headaches?
- Are you over-analytical?
- Do you doubt your intuition?
- Are you apathetic?
- Do you feel lonely or isolated?
- Do you feel you have no purpose in life?
- Are you afraid of dying?
- Does life seem senseless?
- Are you over attached to your belongings or relationships?
- Do you have an addictive relationshipwith spirituality?
- Do you search for answers outside yourself?
How to use Perfect Potion’s chakra blends
Massage is fundamental to the practice of aromatherapy. Select the most appropriate chakra blend and add approximately 5 drops to every 10mL of carrier oil. Patricia Davis recommends that you omit any deep strokes and concentrate on light effleurage and long sweeping strokes. Let your hands come to rest on any area of the body that feels as if it needs special healing. You should also pay particular attention to extremities: hands, feet and head, drawing off any negative energy present. Don’t forget to give your hands a brisk shake each time you do so.
At the end of the massage include some strokes that do not touch the surface of the body – hold your hands just above your friend’s body and move them slowly, sensing any areas that are cold, hot, blocked or troubled in any way.
Always finish with some long, sweeping strokes from below the feet to above the head, just above the body. End by holding your friend’s feet for a minute or more, to ground their energy and allow a gentle return to the everyday reality.
You should create the appropriate ambiance for your bath. Choose a quiet time, light a candle, keep the lights dim and add three to five drops of the appropriate chakra blend to a tablespoon of dispersing bath oil, then add this to the batch ensuring it is mixed in well.
Enter the bath and lie still for 15 to 20 minutes. The time should not be spent for washing, if you need to clean, do this before you get into your bath.
Ritual baths can be used to “clear” after a bad experience, or to clear the aura after being in a crowded place, where you may be in proximity to energies you would not welcome into your space.
Using a diffuser can help create the ideal atmosphere in your home or workplace. Remember to always follow the instructions of your specific diffuser carefully for optimal performance. Ultrasonic diffusers are ideal as no heating element is used so that the complex chemical constituents of the oils are protected. They work on high frequencies that work to disperse a very fine essential oil-infused mist into the air.
This means placing a drop of the chakra blend directly on the body. This is a very ancient practice, commonly used in many religions and spiritual traditions.
Usually the oils are applied to areas of the body that hold some symbolic significance, such as the head, the chest, hands or feet and to the areas that correspond to the chakras.
Simply inhaling the chakra blend from the bottle is one of the most effective ways of changing our state of awareness. Sniffing the oil direct from the bottle can be overpowering, so you may just add a drop to a tissue or handkerchief.
Inhaling is the best way to assist meditation, visualisation and strengthening affirmations. Inhale the blend before the visualisation, meditation or affirmation and inhale deeply again at the end to anchor the experience.
Crystals and gemstones
According to Patricia Davis crystals will enhance the action of the essential oils that you are using. The quartz crystals and gemstones can be used for the purpose of healing, energising and gaining access to higher dimensions of consciousness.
Davis says that crystals will enhance essential oils by amplifying the aroma. She says that just one drop of an essential oil on a crystal will perfume the entire room.
Coloured crystals and gemstones are attuned to a narrower range of vibrations that corresponds to their colour. They can be used to influence chakra energy and are selected according to their colour correspondence with the chakra. Clear quartz crystal can be used with any chakra blend and can resonate with any of the chakras.
You may simply carry the gemstone or crystal with you or the appropriate crystal can be placed around the chakra as a way of balancing the chakra.
Davis P. Subtle aromatherapy. The C.W. Daniel Company Limited, United Kingdom, 1991.
Gerber R. Vibrational medicine. Bear & Company, USA, 1988.
Gerber R. Vibrational medicine for the 21st century. Piatkus, England, 2000.
Loughran J, Bull R. Aromatherapy & Subtle Energy Techniques. Frog Ltd, USA, 2000.
Maheshwarananda Paramhans Swami, The Hidden Power in Humans: Chakras and Kundalini. European University Press, Austria, 2004.
Shumsky S. Exploring Chakras. Book-mart Press, USA, 2003.
Worwood V. The fragrant heavens. Doubleday. London, 1999.