The pure, fresh blend of 100% pure essential oils of citronella, tea tree, niaouli, eucalyptus and peppermint in Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent has been rigorously tested and proven effective by leading researchers at the University of Technology, Sydney in laboratory and field trials in Far North Queensland. These tests were conducted according to World Health Organisation (WHO) Standards and successfully repelled 98.5% of mosquitoes on application.
Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent is registered and approved by the APVMA as an effective insect repellent1 and is also certified natural through COSMOS2.
With these two widely recognised and respected approvals, you can confidently enjoy the protection from mosquitoes provided by some of the most potent insect repellents found in nature without the use of synthetic ingredients like N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET).
Did you know that DEET is currently the most common active ingredient used in the majority of insect repellents on the market? This synthetic ingredient, which was originally formulated to use as a pesticide on farm fields, is often used in as high percentages as 100% in commercial insect repellents. As an effective solvent, DEET is well known to “damage spandex, rayon, acetate and leather” and to dissolve “plastics, vinyl and labels”3. DEET is very greasy, has a very distinctive smell and while it has been deemed safe by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in low quantities, some countries have banned the sale of DEET containing more than 30% concentration. We believe these are all great reasons to avoid the ingredient at all costs.
We knew we needed to fill the need to replace DEET with an effective, all natural repellent, so we have developed a formulation using pure essential oils, which have been proven by leading scientists to be as effective as DEET5, and have been valued for thousands of years for their repellent properties.
- Eucalyptus, Blue Mallee – proven to repel 72.2% of mosquitos for 2 hours6
- Peppermint – proven to repel 100% of Ae. aegypti for 45 minutes5
- Citronella – proven to repel 40% of An. stephensi for 7-8 hours5
- Tea tree – traditionally used for thousands of years as a highly effective insect repellent
- Niaouli – proven to repel 100% of Ae. aegypti (Linnaeus), An. stephensi (Liston), Cu. quinquefasciatus for 8 hours6
In nature, plants use their essential oils as a natural defence mechanism to deter insects from eating them. It is believed that these oils, which evaporate easily, serve to ward off insects from a distance and protect the plant.
Maia and Moore state in the Malaria Journal, “Citronella, which contains citronellal, citronellol, geraniol, citral, a-pinene, and limonene, is as effective dose for dose as DEET7.”
The authors go on to add that due to its highly evaporative properties, citronella should be combined with a fixative to improve the protection time by “reducing the release rate of the volatile oil8”. To do this, we have combined our formulation with natural jojoba esters to fix the essential oils to the skin, improving its longevity.
If you used Pure Plant Hydrating Serum in the past, you will already be familiar with the jojoba esters that make the serum so hydrating and long-lasting.
We know you’ll enjoy this 100% natural fresh, pure blend we have included in this proven effective repellent. It is safe to use on children over six months old and inside your home, so allow yourself to enjoy the summer with confidence and without mosquito bites with Perfect Potion's Outdoor Body Spray Natural Insect Repellent.
1. In Australia, the sale of insect repellents is controlled by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). An insect repellent intended for human use must be reviewed and approved by the APVMA. The APVMA is an Australian government statutory authority established in 1993 to centralise the registration of all agricultural and veterinary chemical products into the Australian marketplace.
2. COSMOS is an internationally recognised standard for organic and natural cosmetics which was developed to address the needs of consumers, the industry and the environment. Founded in 2010, COSMOS is paving the way for manufacturers and consumers alike to purchase and promote certified natural and organic products around the world.
3. Greive, Kerryn, John Station, Peter Miller, Bryce Peters, and VM Jane Oppenheim. “Development of Melaleuca Oils as Effective Natural-based Personal Insect Repellents.” Australian Journal of Entomology 49 (2010): 40-48. Print.
4. Greive, Kerryn, John Station, Peter Miller, Bryce Peters, and VM Jane Oppenheim. “Development of Melaleuca Oils as Effective Natural-based Personal Insect Repellents.” Australian Journal of Entomology 49 (2010): pg. 41. Print.
5. Maia, M., & Moore, S. (2011). Plant-based insect repellents: A review of their efficacy, development and testing. Malaria Journal, 10(S11). Pp 4-8, from http://www.malariajournal.com/supplements/10/s11
6. Amer, A., & Melhorn, H. (2006). Repellency effect of forty-one essential oils against Aedes, Anopheles, and Culex Mosquitoes. Parasitol Res. 2006 Sep; 99 (4):478-90. Epub 2006 Apr 27. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.govmed/16642384
7. Maia, M., & Moore, S. (2011). Plant-based insect repellents: A review of their efficacy, development and testing. Malaria Journal, 10(S11). Pg. 3, from http://www.malariajournal.com/supplements/10/s11
8. Maia, M., & Moore, S. (2011). Plant-based insect repellents: A review of their efficacy, development and testing. Malaria Journal, 10(S11). Pg. 3, from http://www.malariajournal.com/supplements/10/s11