For many women, having a baby is one of the most amazing things she’ll ever do and being pregnant is just the start of the whole experience. All pregnancies are different – while some women breeze through radiantly in blissful health, others find they are faced with a myriad of discomforts that leave them physically depleted and emotionally drained.
Aromatherapy has so much to offer in alleviating problems that may arise as well as simply offering a natural remedy for relaxation and stress management.
Essential oils for pregnancy
Below is a list of essential oils which are generally safe for use during pregnancy. If you have any concerns, please consult your health practitioner.
- Lavender – antidepressant, relaxing, calming, soothing, aids sleep, anti-inflammatory, mild antiseptic, alleviates headaches, relieves aches and pains. Good to aid with stress and anxiety. First aid oil for minor cuts, stings and burns. May help with eczema and dermatitis.
- Neroli – alleviates anxiety, antidepressant, uplifting, anti-inflammatory. Very calming and uplifting. Great to use on sensitive skin. Petitgrain may be used as a cheaper alternative to pure neroli essential oil but is not an anti-inflammatory. Neroli 3% in jojoba oil is also a cheaper alternative.
- Mandarin – helps relieve grief, aids digestion, alleviates hiccoughs, creates a happy mood, useful for preventing and treating stretch marks.
- Spearmint – cooling, helps relieve nausea
- Roman Chamomile – relaxing, calming, soothing, helps relieve frustration, disperses anger, relieves aches and pains.
- German Chamomile – relaxing, soothing, calming, anti-inflammatory for skin conditions, relieves aches and pains. German Chamomile 3% in jojoba is a cheaper alternative to the pure essential oil.
- Geranium – balancing, relieves fluid retention, relieves sore breasts.
Essential oils to avoid during pregnancy
Below is the short list of essential oils which are generally contra-indicated during pregnancy. We recommend avoiding the following essential oils if you are pregnant.
Basil, Cedarwood (Atlas and Virginian), Clary Sage, Fennel, Hyssop, Jasmine, Myrrh, Sweet Marjoram, Parsley, Pennyroyal, Sage, Thyme
Essential oils to use with caution
There are some essential oils that may be beneficial to use during pregnancy, but need to be used with caution. Please consult with a qualified Aromatherapist before using the following essential oils.
Cypress, Juniper Berry, Peppermint, Rose, Rosemary
Methods of application
There are many simple and effective ways to use essential oils:
Oil burner or aromatherapy diffuser
Add 5-7 drops of your favourite blend to an oil burner or aromatherapy diffuser to help reduce tension and anxiety, relieve insomnia, headaches and mental fatigue.
Regular massage helps reduce tension and anxiety, helps relieve insomnia and headaches, prevents stretch marks and aids oedema (fluid retention). Create your own massage oil or use a Perfect Potion preparation for at home treatments. Please note – when creating your own pregnancy massage oils, dilutions should never exceed 1% – use the ratios below as a reference:
|20 drops essential oil||100ml carrier oil|
|10 drops essential oil||50ml carrier oil|
|5 drops essential oil||25ml carrier oil|
Treating common pregnancy ailments with aromatherapy
During your pregnancy you may find yourself feeling ill or generally under the weather. We’ve listed a few natural remedies to help you with these common problems.
To help with nausea, create a blend of the essential oils below and add 5 – 7 drops to your aromatherapy diffuser. To use as a massage oil, create a dilution as indicated above. Massage the belly lightly in a circular motion. Compliment with a herbal tea for maximum benefits.
- Essential oils: Spearmint, Ginger, Peppermint, Lemon
- Herbal Teas: Ginger, Peppermint, Spearmint
- Perfect Potion products – Buzz Pulse Point, Cool It Quick Fix, Cool Mint Aromatic Mist, Chill Out Balm
Digestive Problems and Constipation
Create a blend of the essential oils below and mix into a massage oil dilution as indicated above. Massage the belly lightly in a circular motion.
- Essential oils: Spearmint, Sweet Orange, Black Pepper, Ginger
Reduce the pain of heart burn by creating a blend of the essential oils below and mixing into a massage oil dilution as indicated above. Massage the chest lightly in a circular motion.
- Essential oils: Mandarin, Roman Chamomile, Lavender, Spearmint
Stress and Anxiety
Take time to wind down every day – designate a quiet time to reduce stress and anxiety. Create a blend of the essential oils below and add to your aromatherapy diffuser or mix into a massage oil dilution as indicated above. Massage the body using long, firm strokes – or have your partner do it for you!
- Essential oils: Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Neroli, Roman Chamomile
- Perfect Potion’s Relax Essential Oil Blend may also assist in reducing stress levels.
Aches and Pains
To relieve aches and pains, create a blend of the essential oils below and mix into a massage oil dilution as indicated above. Massage the body using long, firm strokes – or have your partner do it for you!
- Essential oils: Ginger, Black Pepper, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, German Chamomile, Geranium
- Perfect Potion products: Cooling Foot and Leg Lotion for aching feet and legs, Active Balm and Active Massage Oil for short term use only.
Preventing Stretch Marks
Create a softening and nourishing oil for stretching skin with a blend of essential oils and vegetable oils listed below. To determine the correct dilution, refer to the dilution ratios above. Gently massage stretching skin after a shower or bath.
- Essential oils: Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Frankincense
- Vegetable oils: Olive oil, Coconut oil, Apricot Kernal oil, Avocado oil
- Perfect Potion products: New Bloom Pregnancy Body Oil, New Bloom Pregnancy Body Cream
Please note: We recommend consulting your health care professional prior to using any of the above remedies while pregnant.